March 11, 2014
While you job is very important, it’s important to note that it’s not the only important thing in your life. You have family, friends, and… you… to think about as you carefully construct your life to maximize joy, success & fulfillment in all of the arenas in your life. We like the “buckets” analogy. You have a bucket for each area of life: family, friends, you, and work. But—each day, week, month & year, you have a limited amount of time & energy you can put in each bucket. The balancing act between keeping each of those buckets at a reasonable level is called the work-life balance.
It’s hard to know when you’re pouring too much into one bucket, and not enough into another—but a good way to help figure that out is to ask questions like: Am I exhausted all the time? Are loved ones around me frustrated with the time I’m spending in one “bucket” or another? Do I find myself missing my family? Do I ever feel refreshed? There are a ton of opportunities for distractions from what you need, but it’s important to know when to tune out those distractions and focus on you.
One helpful step is to set clear boundaries for yourself, loved ones, and your employer. Know when you need to go to bed to wake up, feel refreshed, and get to work on time & ready to do your best work. Know how much time you need to set aside for family & friends—and most of all: YOU. While it’s important that you work hard during work hours, make sure your employer knows that you need a balance. Remember: If you value your employer’s time (be on time, work hard, strive for healthy relationships in the workplace), it’s likely they’ll value yours & respond well when you create boundaries. A few good boundaries to set might be things like: Not working off the clock, limiting unplanned overtime, bringing it to your boss’s attention if he or she schedules you at time you’ve previously mentioned doesn’t work, and be sure to take your allotted breaks. In many cases, with family, friends or employers, it’s important to know when to say “no”—and you shouldn’t feel guilty when that need arises!
Focusing on yourself is important, too. Be sure to stay active, getting regular exercise (even if it’s going for a walk, stretching, or actively playing with your kids!), and stay healthy by getting rest, eating well, and taking appropriate you-time. Maintain relationships that help you grow, and try to minimize ones that are negative or waste time. Don’t be afraid to ask for help if you need it. There are lots of ways to balance the four buckets: you, work, friends, and family—so don’t be afraid to try different things if something isn’t working!
No one would ever claim that the work-life balance is easy—but it’s absolutely fulfilling on many levels when it’s achieved!
March 5, 2014
We got a lot of good feedback off of our first Designer Accessory Sale preview dedicated to bags—so we thought we’d do it again! In the first bags preview we included some bags from Kate Spade, Dooney & Bourke, Coach & Kooba—this time we’ve got some more Coach for you as well as some Cole Haan, Donna Karan, and See by Chloe!
Head over to our University District location on March 7th & 8th from 9am to 8pm to find the perfect designer bag for your collection!
See by Chloe
Which one of these bags will you be after when you head to the U-District Goodwill location for this year's Designer Accessory Sale?Add a Comment | Comments (0)
March 4, 2014
Another hit item at the Designer Accessory sale is shoes. We’ve got a serious stock of designer & faux designer shoes that’ll be on the shelves at our University District location’s Annual Designer Accessory Sale. Swing by the location on March 7th & 8th between 9am and 8pm to add to your shoe collection. Staff will be restocking the shelves regularly throughout the day—so you can come in at any time and have a killer selection!
Here's a preview of some shoes that'll be part of the sale:
Flats by Alexandra Heel
Ballet Flats by Miu Miu
Rock & Republic Pumps
Tory Burch Ballet Flats
What item are you going to be after when you come in to the Designer Accessory Sale?
Photos by Bret Doss.
Add a Comment | Comments (0)
February 27, 2014
One of the most coveted items at our University District Goodwill’s annual Designer Accessory sale is the onslaught of designer bags we have. This year is no different! We’ve got bags from Kate Spade, Coach, Kooba & more. Check out the sale preview below—and come out to the Designer Accessory sale on March 7th & 8th from 9am until 8pm to find the perfect new bag for your collection!
Kate Spade Wallet
Francesco Biasia Bag
Kate Spade Purse
Have you scored an awesome item at a Designer Accessory Sale in the past? Tell us about it on our Facebook!
Photos from Bret Doss.Add a Comment | Comments (0)
February 26, 2014
It is THAT time again! And by “that” we mean it’s time for our University District Goodwill’s Designer Accessory Sale! It’s our fifth time around hosting this sale—and it gets better every time. From 9:00 a.m. until 8:00 p.m. on March 7 and 8, come out to the U-District Goodwill to find the best deals on real and faux designer shoes, handbags, and other accessories.
We’ve got pieces on deck for this sale from designers like Dooney & Bourke, Coach, Betsy Johnson, Fossil, Kate Spade, Cole Haan, House of Harlow, Marc Jacobs, Steve Madden, Nine West, and more. During the sale, shelves will be restocked regularly—so you can come at any time and score that perfect new addition to your wardrobe. We’ll be well stocked with items for men and women alike—including shoes, hats, belts and other accessories. For the men, we’ll also have a bevy of ties to choose from and for the ladies, we’ll have variety of designer handbags.
If you’re looking to refresh your wardrobe—or add a dash of class, add this sale to your calendar. One of the best parts about this sale is that you’ll not only be getting top-notch designer goods at a fraction of their regular cost, but you’ll be supporting Goodwill’s mission to provide quality, effective employment training and basic education to members of our community who need it. Come into the fifth annual Designer Accessory Sale and you could find a bargain on a pair of Kate Spade heels or Cole Haan oxfords—and improve the lives of individuals in our own community with free job training and education. It’s a win-win situation.
On March 7th & 8th, grab some friends, come on down, and support a great mission by shopping University District Goodwill’s Designer Accessory Sale!
Some of the items on sale:
Photos by Bret Doss.Add a Comment | Comments (0)
CONNECT WITH US
SUBSCRIBE VIA EMAIL
- The Balancing Act: The Work-Life Balance
- Designer Accessory Sale: MORE bags!
- Designer Accessory Sale: Shoes!
- Designer Accessory Sale: Bags, Bags & More Bags!
- Celebrating 90 Years (17)
- Community (26)
- Craft Corner (5)
- Donate (18)
- Fashion (18)
- Glitter Gala 2012 (2)
- Glitter Sale 2012 (34)
- Glitter Sale 2013 (15)
- Green Corps (1)
- Job Training & Education (21)
- Let's Get to Work (7)
- Our Mission at Work (10)
- Shop (30)
- Uncategorized (1)
- Vintage Fashion (2)
- Volunteering (5)
- March 2014 (3)
- February 2014 (4)
- January 2014 (1)
- December 2013 (3)
- Glitter Sale Raises Record Amount
- Making Room for Glitter Sale Finds
- The Mission at Work – Innocent’s Story
- Glitter Sale Preview 2013: The Best of the Rest
- Glitter Sale 2013 Preview: Vintage Finds
- Glitter Sale 2013 Preview: Tips for Shopping the Glitter Sale
- Glitter Sale 2013 Preview: UW Pride
- Glitter Sale 2013 Preview: The Perfect Handbag
- Glitter Sale 2013 Preview: Holiday Pins
- Glitter Sale Preview: Mad for Plaid
- Glitter Sale 2013 Preview: Designer Shoes
- Glitter Sale 2013 Preview: Crushing on Coach
- Glitter Sale 2013 Preview: Animal Prints - Walk on the Wild Side
- Glitter Sale 2013 Preview: The Little Black Dress
- Glitter Sale 2013 Preview: Winter Whites
- Glitter Sale 2013 Preview: Burberry
- Halloween Costume Ideas and Contests
- Zipcar and Goodwill Partner for Donation Day Seattle on October 19
- Eye Catching Emerald Green at this Year's Glitter Sale!
- Going for LEED Gold
- Goodwill is your Halloween Headquarters
- September 2013 (2)
- August 2013 (6)
- July 2013 (3)
- June 2013 (2)
- Come to the Goodwill Ribbon Cutting and Open House
- Goodwill Collecting Donations at Sasquatch Festival
- Give Goodwill!
- My New Book Club: Easy and Cheap
- Celebrating 90 Years | Learning at Seattle Goodwill
- Celebrating 90 Years | Live Hi Up - An Interview with Angela Moorer
- Donate Today and Help Build The Future
- Shopping Goodwill – My Favorite Finds
- Beyoncé is Lending Her Voice for GOOD
- Board Member and Volunteer James Thomas Helps Us Celebrate National Volunteer Week
- Put It Down For the Town - Celebrate Earth Day with Macklemore Monday!
- Donate to Goodwill in Honor of Earth Day
- Participate in our Earth Day Giveaway for a Chance to Win Macklemore Tickets!
- Celebrating 90 Years | Goodwill Style with Darcy Camden
- Spring Cleaning Helps Others Find Jobs
- Rat City Rollergirls Talk Thrift!
- Celebrating 90 Years | Store Manager Israel Juarez Knows the Power of Education
- Get Your Taxes Prepared for Free at Goodwill
- Celebrating 90 Years | Volunteering at Goodwill
- Salvaging 35 Million Pounds
- Shop in Style at the Urban Girls’ Garage Sale
- Celebrating 90 Years | Shopping for Goodwill Fashions with Blogger Jess Estrada
- Celebrating 90 Years | The Early History of Seattle Goodwill
- Shop Our Designer Accessory Sale Starting Tomorrow!
- Water Cooler Conversations – What Not to Say
- Celebrating 90 Years - The Gift of Education
- Our Designer Accessory Sale is next Friday and Saturday!
- Celebrating 90 Years - Tina Witherspoon is Hooked on Thrift
- Get Organized – Tips to De-Clutter Your Life
- Celebrating 90 Years - Stories from the Community
- Celebrating 90 Years - Job Training at Goodwill
- Dress For the Job You Want
- Celebrating 90 Years – Charles Cross Talks Music, Mugs and Cheap Furniture
- Celebrating 90 Years - Thrifting Tips from Kim Holcomb
- Attend the Finale of Seattle’s Fashion Reality Show, The Look!
- Help Goodwill Celebrate 90 Years!
- January 2013 (5)
- December 2012 (4)
- Our Mission at Work: Meet Mary Jane
- Are You Ready for Winter Weather?
- Winter Wardrobe Wonderland
- Thank You for Making the Glitter Sale a Success!
- The Glitter Sale is Finally Here - Time to Grab Some Designer Flats!
- Shop the Glitter Sale For That Great Gatsby Look
- Fresh Fall Trend: Hunter Green
- Why You Should Get Up Early and Get in Line for the Glitter Sale
- Get Your Glitter On: Tips for Shopping the Glitter Sale
- Make a Statement with an Eye-Catching Necklace
- Glitter Sale Favorites: Designer Shoes
- The Little Black Dress
- Tina’s Picks: If I Were Shopping The Glitter Sale Today, This is What I Would Buy
- In Praise of Burgundy
- Designer Bags Galore at the Glitter Sale!
- How to Create Personal Style: Include Vintage Pieces in the Mix
- Husky Pride at the Glitter Sale
- Glitter Sale 2013 Preview: Holiday Pins
- Find The Perfect Dress for Any Occasion at the Glitter Sale
- Winter Whites Done Right
- The Sheath Dress: A Short History
- All That Glitters – Add Some Sparkle With Brooches
- Shop Marc Jacobs at the Glitter Sale
- Update Your Wardrobe with Gold and Silver Metallics
- Build your Halloween Costume at Goodwill and Save Money!
- Gucci, Coach and Jimmy Choo: Designer Clothing and Accessories at the Glitter Sale
- Fall Fashion: Black and Blue and Seen All Over
- The Ever-Fashionable Animal Print
- Five Tips for New Job Seekers
- From Burberry to North Face, cover up in these jackets and stay dry in the Seattle rain
- Walk out of the Glitter Sale with some amazing designer shoes!
- Fresh Trends for Fall
- The Glitter Sale is Coming Soon!
- Finding a Good Job Fit When You Identify as LGBT
- Our Mission at Work: Meet Dolores
- The Animal Trend Gets Glittery
- All About Leather
- Designer Clothes for Men
- Our Mission at Work: Meet Nutjaree
- Shop Diane von Furstenberg at the Glitter Sale
- Pin Me! Be Bold with Brooches
- September 2012 (5)
- Our Mission at Work: Meet Danilo
- Goodwill Craft Corner: T-shirt Scarves
- Let’s Get to Work: When Potential Employers Ask Illegal Questions
- We're beating the heat in vintage swimsuits
- Our Mission at Work: Meet Oscar
- Stay summery with bold patterns and bright colors
- Donate now at even more locations!
- The grand opening of our South Lake Union store!
- July 2012 (4)