June 7, 2013
The Rat City Roller Girls All-Stars kick off their 2013 season when they take on the London Rollergirls this Saturday at the Key Arena. Opening ceremonies start at 5:30 PM and the first bout begins at 6 PM, with Rat City Rain of Terror taking on Montreal.
Goodwill is proud to be featured as Rat City Roller Girl’s featured charity at the June 8 bout to celebrate the positive impact our programs have in the community with free job training and education programs. Check out this video featuring some of the Rat City Roller Girls modeling some summer style from Goodwill.
June 4, 2013
Goodwill’s fourth annual Cyclist Sale will be taking place on Saturday June 8 from 9:00 am to 6:00 pm. The sale will be at two locations this year: Goodwill’s flagship store in Seattle, located at 1400 S. Lane Street and the newly opened Ravenna store at 4637 Union Bay Place NE in Seattle (this will be the opening day for the Ravenna store).
The Cyclist Sale is a perfect place to get good quality bikes at affordable prices. This year’s sale will feature bikes to choose from for all ages.
In addition to mountain, road and hybrid bikes for adults, the sale will include vintage bikes and cruisers. For those looking for brand-names they will find: Schwinn, DiamondBack, Specialized, Bianchi, Giant, Trek, Raleigh, Mongoose, Gary Fisher, Marin, Cannondale, Novara, GT, and Haro and more can all be found. It’s not just bikes: the sale will have everything to round out the biking experience, including: jerseys, shorts, hats, shoes, seats, helmets, pedals, rims, tires, racks, frames, fenders, handlebars, water bottles, lights, reflectors, training wheels, pumps and more.
The net proceeds from shoppers’ purchases support Goodwill’s free job training and education programs that help people get jobs and become economically self-sufficient.
May 30, 2013
Please join us on Saturday, June 1, 2013 to celebrate the opening of our new Job Training and Education Center and Administrative Support Services Building located at 700 Dearborn Place South in Seattle. The Ribbon Cutting Ceremony will occur at 10:30 a.m. The day will also include refreshments and self-guided tours from 10:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Goodwill’s new building opened in April 2013. The 49,600-square-foot facility will allow Goodwill to expand its capacity to serve more individuals in the free job training & education programs in a more dignified learning environment.
The new three-story building has classrooms and computer labs, a Worksource drop-in center and a student lounge on the first floor with two levels above of instructor and administrative offices. It is set back from the intersection of Dearborn and Rainier to preserve a large Bartram Oak and create a small entry plaza. A two-story lobby and front porch wrapped in cedar siding articulates the design’s simple rectangular form announcing the entry.
The project is expected to achieve LEED Silver through energy efficiency, daylighting, water conservation and stormwater retention and treatment.
Founded in 1923, Seattle Goodwill is a non-profit organization whose free programs train people for work and help them learn the skills necessary to compete for entry-level positions. Goodwill’s programs are designed to meet emerging needs of employers in today’s culturally complex and high-tech work environment.
Add a Comment | Comments (0)
May 22, 2013
Goodwill is proud to partner with Sasquatch and Macklemore to collect donations at the 2013 Sasquatch Music Festival. The festival will run from May 24-27 (Memorial Day Weekend) at The Gorge, the internationally acclaimed concert venue carved in the basalt cliffs high above the Columbia River Gorge in Quincy, WA.
"We are proud to work with Macklemore & Ryan Lewis and Goodwill to help strengthen our community and promote a culture of social responsibility," said Adam Zacks, Producer for the Sasquatch Music Festival.
Headlining artists Macklemore & Ryan Lewis have been long-time supporters and donors of Goodwill and will be performing their 2013 #1 hit song "Thrift Shop", whose music video was partially filmed in the Seattle Goodwill Outlet.
"We're excited to continue our great relationship with Goodwill and thrilled that they could be part of Sasquatch Festival this year. It's a special day for us and we love that our friends at Goodwill will be on-site taking donations," said Macklemore & Ryan Lewis manager Zach Quillen.
WHAT: Goodwill will be collecting gently used items that will help benefit free job training and education.
WHEN: Thursday, 1:00 am - 6:00 pm, Friday, May 24 10:00 am - 6:00 pm, Saturday, May 25 10:00 am - 6:00 pm, Sunday May 26 10:00 am- 5:00 pm, and Monday May 27 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
WHERE: The foot path to the main gate at Sasquatch.
*Bring gently used items to Goodwill's donation truck at the festival. For more information about donation guidelines please go to www.seattlegoodwill.org
*As part of the E-Cycle Washington program, Goodwill collects televisions, computer monitors, desktop computers and laptops free of charge. These items donated in good working condition will be sold in our stores, and items that can't be sold will be recycled in accordance with E-Cycle Washington's guidelines, which ensure that toxic materials stay out of our landfills.
*People who donate to Goodwill will be supporting their local community in Washington State. Proceeds will benefit Goodwill's free job training and education programs offered at centers around the region. These classes help low-income and disadvantaged people in the community find jobs and become economically self-sufficient.
May 14, 2013
Give to Seattle Goodwill on Wednesday, May 15, and your donation will be doubled, up to $15,000!
Help expand our free adult job training and education programs and increase the number of people served from 6,265 to 8,500. Visit our Building the Future campaign page for more information on how you can help students like Roger.
Originally from Belgium, Roger De Rudder came to Seattle at the age of 58 because he met the woman he wanted to marry. “At that age and without having a diploma or GED, it was hard to find a job,” he remembered. Roger came to Goodwill to take some computer classes because he wanted to find employment to start his new life here. After finding the classes beneficial, he signed up for the Retail and Customer Service program. “The classes go over retail skills, but it is a lot more like learning to manage your life. You also learn to focus your time and finances.”
After he completed the program he was able to find a job at the Seattle Goodwill on Dearborn. He continues to work for Goodwill and understands the value of the shoppers who support Goodwill. “I like working for Goodwill because I am helping support the mission.”
CONNECT WITH US
SUBSCRIBE VIA EMAIL
- Celebrate Goodwill Night at Rat City!
- Pedal into summer in style with Goodwill’s Cyclist Sale!
- Come to the Goodwill Ribbon Cutting and Open House
- Goodwill Collecting Donations at Sasquatch Festival
- Celebrating 90 Years (15)
- Community (15)
- Craft Corner (2)
- Donate (13)
- Fashion (10)
- Glitter Gala (1)
- Glitter Sale (33)
- Green Corps (1)
- Job Training & Education (17)
- Let's Get to Work (5)
- Our Mission at Work (8)
- Shop (19)
- Vintage Fashion (1)
- Volunteering (5)
- June 2013 (2)
- Come to the Goodwill Ribbon Cutting and Open House
- Goodwill Collecting Donations at Sasquatch Festival
- Give Goodwill!
- My New Book Club: Easy and Cheap
- Celebrating 90 Years | Learning at Seattle Goodwill
- Celebrating 90 Years | Live Hi Up - An Interview with Angela Moorer
- Donate Today and Help Build The Future
- Shopping Goodwill – My Favorite Finds
- Beyoncé is Lending Her Voice for GOOD
- Board Member and Volunteer James Thomas Helps Us Celebrate National Volunteer Week
- Put It Down For the Town - Celebrate Earth Day with Macklemore Monday!
- Donate to Goodwill in Honor of Earth Day
- Participate in our Earth Day Giveaway for a Chance to Win Macklemore Tickets!
- Celebrating 90 Years | Goodwill Style with Darcy Camden
- Spring Cleaning Helps Others Find Jobs
- Rat City Rollergirls Talk Thrift!
- Celebrating 90 Years | Store Manager Israel Juarez Knows the Power of Education
- Get Your Taxes Prepared for Free at Goodwill
- Celebrating 90 Years | Volunteering at Goodwill
- Salvaging 35 Million Pounds
- Shop in Style at the Urban Girls’ Garage Sale
- Celebrating 90 Years | Shopping for Goodwill Fashions with Blogger Jess Estrada
- Celebrating 90 Years | The Early History of Seattle Goodwill
- Shop Our Designer Accessory Sale Starting Tomorrow!
- Water Cooler Conversations – What Not to Say
- Celebrating 90 Years - The Gift of Education
- Our Designer Accessory Sale is next Friday and Saturday!
- Celebrating 90 Years - Tina Witherspoon is Hooked on Thrift
- Get Organized – Tips to De-Clutter Your Life
- Celebrating 90 Years - Stories from the Community
- Celebrating 90 Years - Job Training at Goodwill
- Dress For the Job You Want
- Celebrating 90 Years – Charles Cross Talks Music, Mugs and Cheap Furniture
- Celebrating 90 Years - Thrifting Tips from Kim Holcomb
- Attend the Finale of Seattle’s Fashion Reality Show, The Look!
- Help Goodwill Celebrate 90 Years!
- January 2013 (5)
- December 2012 (4)
- Our Mission at Work: Meet Mary Jane
- Are You Ready for Winter Weather?
- Winter Wardrobe Wonderland
- Thank You for Making the Glitter Sale a Success!
- The Glitter Sale is Finally Here - Time to Grab Some Designer Flats!
- Shop the Glitter Sale For That Great Gatsby Look
- Fresh Fall Trend: Hunter Green
- Why You Should Get Up Early and Get in Line for the Glitter Sale
- Get Your Glitter On: Tips for Shopping the Glitter Sale
- Make a Statement with an Eye-Catching Necklace
- Glitter Sale Favorites: Designer Shoes
- The Little Black Dress
- Tina’s Picks: If I Were Shopping The Glitter Sale Today, This is What I Would Buy
- In Praise of Burgundy
- Designer Bags Galore at the Glitter Sale!
- How to Create Personal Style: Include Vintage Pieces in the Mix
- Husky Pride at the Glitter Sale
- Find The Perfect Dress for Any Occasion at the Glitter Sale
- Winter Whites Done Right
- The Sheath Dress: A Short History
- All That Glitters – Add Some Sparkle With Brooches
- Shop Marc Jacobs at the Glitter Sale
- Update Your Wardrobe with Gold and Silver Metallics
- Build your Halloween Costume at Goodwill and Save Money!
- Gucci, Coach and Jimmy Choo: Designer Clothing and Accessories at the Glitter Sale
- Fall Fashion: Black and Blue and Seen All Over
- The Ever-Fashionable Animal Print
- Five Tips for New Job Seekers
- From Burberry to North Face, cover up in these jackets and stay dry in the Seattle rain
- Walk out of the Glitter Sale with some amazing designer shoes!
- Fresh Trends for Fall
- The Glitter Sale is Coming Soon!
- Finding a Good Job Fit When You Identify as LGBT
- Our Mission at Work: Meet Dolores
- The Animal Trend Gets Glittery
- All About Leather
- Designer Clothes for Men
- Our Mission at Work: Meet Nutjaree
- Shop Diane von Furstenberg at the Glitter Sale
- Pin Me! Be Bold with Brooches
- September 2012 (5)
- Our Mission at Work: Meet Danilo
- Goodwill Craft Corner: T-shirt Scarves
- Let’s Get to Work: When Potential Employers Ask Illegal Questions
- We're beating the heat in vintage swimsuits
- Our Mission at Work: Meet Oscar
- Stay summery with bold patterns and bright colors
- Donate now at even more locations!
- The grand opening of our South Lake Union store!
- July 2012 (4)