Stretch Your Holiday Dollars at Puget Sound Goodwill Stores
Tuesday, Nov 22, 2011
Thousands of square feet dedicated to holiday treasures!
SEATTLE/TACOMA – The holidays are upon us again – store shelves are stocked, holiday tunes are playing and shoppers are in search of something special. Goodwill stores across Puget Sound are stocked with holiday treasures at a low price. Shoppers will find an abundance of trees, lights, dolls, ornaments, books, toys and all the trimmings, with new merchandise stocked every day.
The holidays can be an expensive time of year. On average, Americans spend $700 on purchases such as gifts, meals, decorations and postage.
To get the most out of your holidays, Goodwill offers some resources and suggestions for holiday shopping without sacrificing the spirit of giving.
- Make a budget and check it twice: Making a holiday budget before the holidays begin will help you clarify your spending capabilities and give you a clearer picture of what you can afford. Create a list of loved ones, brainstorm a few gift ideas and write down a maximum spending amount for each person.
- Shop at budget friendly stores like Goodwill: Goodwill offers book collections, housewares, clothes, furniture, toys and more that will suit the needs of even your pickiest recipients and various budgets. Plus, when you shop at Goodwill, you double your benefits. Since the money you spend helps fund job training and education for community members in need, you are giving to more than just the loved ones on your list.
- Get great deals on the web: Do you prefer to do your gift shopping online as you sip a delicious mug of hot chocolate and listen to your favorite holiday music? If so, then ShopGoodwill.com is the place for you! Search thousands of items and with just the click of a mouse you can make bids on one-of-a-kind finds that will be a great gift.
- Shop the Goodwill toy sale: .Starting Nov. 25, Seattle Goodwill stores (except the U-District and Outlet stores) will be launching a Toy Sale that will run through December 24. Choose from thousands of gently used toys, with most selling for just 99 cents.
- Visit the Christmas Shoppes: The 2010 launch of Goodwill’s first-ever Christmas Shoppes (Spanaway & North Tacoma) led to the expansion of five stores this year, located in Kent, Spanaway, North Tacoma, South Lacey and Puyallup. The Christmas Shoppes boast an inventory of over two million pounds with items starting as low as 99 cents.
- It is always good to give back: Often during the holidays, our thoughts turn to those who are less fortunate. However, giving back doesn’t have to cost any money at all. By donating clothing, electronics and other household items you no longer need to Goodwill, you are helping the community and setting a great example of giving back in a cost-effective way. Plus, with numerous Goodwill donation drop-off locations, donating couldn’t be easier.
For more information, please contact Katherine Boury, Communications Manager at or (206) 860-5733.
Seattle Goodwill Industries is a private, nonprofit organization that has served the central and northern Puget Sound since 1923. It provides free job training and education programs and services that help low-income and underserved people obtain the skills they need to secure employment so they may achieve economic self-sufficiency. For more information about Goodwill programs, please visit our Job Training & Education page or call toll-free 1 (877) GIVE4GOOD.